The Art of Exploration archive is where you'll find my past writings and thoughts. You are currently viewing a list of articles about Hawaii.
- Haleakala in the Fog
- On the last day of our visit, we check out of the Ritz Carlton and ask to rent a car. Our flight is late in the evening and we hope to sightsee during the day. But the car rental desk at the Ritz refuses to rent us one of the many dozens of vehicles in their lot because we have just checked out.
- Baldwin Home
- After lunch, we stroll along Front Street past a cacophonus jumble of souvenir shops, t-shirt stands, art galleries, and surf-wear proprietors. My eye catches a few random storefronts—Rip Curl Surf Center, Whalers General Store, Billabong, Wyland Galleries.
- Lunch in Lahaina
- After several days of gloomy weather in Kapalua, we’re ready for some sunshine. We decide to visit Lahaina. We catch the shuttle bus from our hotel and travel southward along Honoapiilani Highway for a dozen miles or so.
- Kapalua Views
- This is shaping up to be the oddest trip we’ve had to Hawaii. The rubbery leaves slap against one another in the breeze.
- The Grand Dining Room
- Brunch at the Grand Dining Room is sublime. I learn for the first time how much I adore a breakfast of fresh fish, rice, and miso soup.
- An Outdoor Living Room
- Outdoor rooms in Hawaii are magical. I relish the sounds of nature, busy but soft and nurturing. Birds sweep through the room, then out of sight. Breezes come and go at their leisure. Cushions grow warm in the sunlight.
- Our Avocados
- As you can see, we made it to Hawaii. But not until we suffered a few days of total exhaustion in Seattle. We slept so much we barely made it out of the hotel. I suppose that’s what we get after working relentlessly for too many hours.