After lunch, we stroll along Front Street past a cacophonus jumble of souvenir shops, t-shirt stands, art galleries, and surf-wear proprietors. My eye catches a few random storefronts: Rip Curl Surf Center, Whalers General Store, Billabong, Wyland Galleries. I walk in auto-pilot mode through the thick crowd of sweaty tourists. They seem to be buzzing as if energized by the commercial setting. I’m relieved when we arrive at the Baldwin Home Museum. We buy a pair of tickets and duck into the quiet interior of the home.
- Calypso Cascades
- My gear selection and backpack loading is improving with each little adventure I embark upon. This weekend I discovered that, in some ways, I’ve become rather efficient at packing for a hike.
- All the Way to Chasm Lake
- I wake at 3:45 AM and make final preparations for a hike to Chasm Lake. I toss my gear in the car and set off. At this time of the morning, the drive is easy, the sky clear, the stars bright, the landscape vast.
- Guanella Pass Scenic Byway
- An assortment of images taken along the Square Top Lake Trail.